Saturday, March 24, 2018

THE SADDLE CAME LOOSE

As I write this, I'm sitting at a small desk in my basement, typing away, and looking up now and then at my husband Karl, who is naked and suspended by his arms (feet on the floor) from the basement beam across from me.  His head is down, looking at the floor, he's been brought "to the edge" four times in the past hour, and he's been admonished to not go over the edge and to keep his head down or suffer a session with my whip.  I can honestly say that I doubt he could be any happier.  Why?  Well, therein lies a tale, doesn't it?


The title of this entry refers back to my last posting  (BACK IN THE SADDLE) which I wrote a full 6 months ago.  At the time, I was thrilled to be typing with two hands and had fully expected to be posting regularly once again.  Things changed quickly when the phone rang with a message from the elderly care home where I volunteer.  My friend Pete had come down with a relapse of his earlier bout with pneumonia, and things had taken a dark turn for him.


Those of you unfamiliar with Pete and our relationship can check back on my postings in 2016 for more information, but suffice it to say that we were very close and I was about his only source for visitation.  When I arrived at the home,  I was shocked to see just how much he had deteriorated in the few days since I had last seen him.  He was having trouble breathing and his hacking cough was absolutely frightening.  I stayed with him that day and returned day after day to give him what solace I could and to keep him talking and aware that somebody besides doctors and nurses cared about him and wanted him to get better. 


We became even closer during this time, as Pete seemed to want to go over his personal history and revealed just about every thought and life adventure he'd had along the way.  I shared with him as best I could given my desire for privacy, and bits of my life as a Dom invariably crept into the conversations here and there.  Not much, but enough to let him know that I trusted his discretion and valued his input.  Days crept into weeks, and I suppose you could say that Pete became something of a father figure to me.  It was a comfortable feeling, but it became harder and harder to watch him get weaker and weaker, and I had to come to the conclusion that I was watching a man who I had come to love and respect slowly and painfully die.


I'd never experienced anything like this before.  Those of you who have gone through this know how draining it can be to see something like this happen and to feel the helplessness involved.  It had devastating effects on my own life as well.   I became obsessed with being by Pete's side, and had lost all desire to involve myself with my usual Dom persona where my husband Karl was concerned.  I just couldn't get myself in the right head while watching Pete die, and I couldn't even read the blogs I usually read or comment on other situations in the blogger community. 


I also felt terribly guilty about shutting out Karl to some extent and ignoring what I considered my duty to keep the D/s relationship strong.  It was not a happy time, and when Pete finally did pass away shortly before Christmas, I fell into a depression of the sort I'd never felt before.  Karl couldn't have been more understanding and loving during this period, continuing to serve me in many ways without my having to ask and putting no pressure on me to return to my usual "natural Dom" way of life.  He is truly a wonderful man.


Gradually, the depression lifted and about a month ago I started reading and commenting on my favorite blogs (special thanks to fur sissy for his wonderful fiction works) and the cloud that I'd never before experienced began to lift.  My juices began to flow once more, and that takes us full circle to the beginning of this posting and explains why Karl could be so happy hanging from the rafters and being lovingly tortured by me.


I do apologize to all my faithful readers who have been wondering what happened to me.  Hopefully, you understand where I've been the past 6 months, and hopefully the year 2017, which began with flu bugs and ended with death, will fade from memory and be replaced with health and positivity.  For now, I've got to get back to Karl and put some clamps on those nipples.  I'm certain that  he'd want it no other way:)



28 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for sharing with us, Lady Grey.

    I'm very sorry to hear about Pete. I believe that I know far too well how it feels to be helpless and lose someone. It really does ache, especially when you want to put on a strong and supportive face for them to try and keep their spirits up while it tears you apart inside. You try to delay the sadness until they are gone while it slowly consumes you.

    What I can tell you is that you gave him the most beautiful gift a person can give. At the end I'm sure that he knew that he mattered and that someone cared about him. You are a wonderful person, Lady Grey.

    Kudos to Karl for being supportive and understanding through all of this. Well, not that I would have expected him to not be, I just wanted to mention that I have thought him to be a good man, and this just gives that more support.

    Thank you again for the update, Lady Grey. It is so very good to see you back.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, fur, for your kind words. I really wanted to let everybody know what was going on while it was happening, but I just couldn't write about it at the time. When I was finally able to get back to the blog world, it was a great gift to be able to immerse myself in your writings.

      You've been a great blog friend for many years, and I thank you for being there still. As for Karl, yes, kudos to him, and rest assured that he'll be rewarded in some very "special" ways:)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Lady Grey.

      I understand that would have been difficult. I am glad that you were able to let us know now. It makes me happy to know that my writings gave you something to delve into.

      I do hope you will keep us updated on Karl's rewards :)

      Your friendship means a lot to me. Take care.

      Delete
    3. wow.. I could NOT have said it better..

      Delete
  2. From one who has experienced being by the side of a loved one as they transitioned from this life to the next I understand. It takes over, as it should and everything pales by comparison. It’s good that you took the time you needed. And healing is a process. I’m sure using karl will help that process as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I sympathize with anyone who goes through this. The healing process is no fun, but hopefully it eventually softens.

      Delete
  3. I was wondering what had happened, Lady Grey. I even wondered how Pete was doing. It's such a sad tale, but I'm glad to hear that you're eginning to recover from the depressing events of last year.

    G.M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, G.M. I'm not used to depression. No fun at all, so let's move on to happier things.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. You did a wonderful thing for Pete in his final days, and your reward is this grief. Such is the cost of a human connection, but I hope you feel that connection with Pete was worth it. I'm sure he did. Blessings and peace upon you, karl, and Pete, wherever he is.

    Kindly,
    b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth any effort on my part. I know it meant a lot to him, and it's something I'll never forget....or hopefully have to go through again. I will miss Pete forever, and I suppose that's just the price one pays for caring deeply about someone.

      Delete
  5. Glad to have you back. I have been missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lady Grey, I sympathize with you, with your good friend Pete. I went through the same thing with my Dad. He had dimentia and then he had another stroke which just worsened the dementia. He had to go to a nursing home for his last 4 1/2 months and continued to deteriate till the end. I sat with my dad every night till he fell asleep. It was hard to see my Hero and best friend return to his childhood and finally turn into a vegetable pretty much. He would sit at the table and try to eat his food and even his napkin. (Sorry I had to pause because this is hard) The nursing home wouldn't keep track of his food and finally he ended up in the hospital with sepsis and a bladder infection because he wouldn't drink.
    He rallied end the end and he woke up one day and it was like God gave him back his memory for one more day. He knew everybody and it was like dad was back. He went downhill the next day and went into a coma. I stayed with him all night that night and he lasted till late the next night. I was there when he passed. I had been with some people when they had passed as a firefighter but this was by far the hardest. My heart goes out to you for what you went through as it shows what a kind and loving person you are and you gave that man the feeling that someone cared..God Bless You. (written teary eyed) this was hard to tell. God Bless, Firefighter Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, Steve. Dimentia or Alzheimer's is so horrible to imagine. I'm glad you were with him at the end, and even though he may not have been able to show it, I've no doubt that he felt your love right up to the end. Bless you, as well.

      Delete
  7. Welcome back. I'm so sorry to hear you have had such a difficult year. I pray that 2018 will be one filled with love, good health and enjoyment.

    -e

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad to hear that you are getting back to normal. Life does tend to get in the way of our pleasures. After a year of empty nesting, so joyful, our son and daughter both moved back home. That put a serious damper on our newly found FLR for and year and a half. They have both recently moved out, don't know for how long, but we are enjoying our life together again.
    I am glad to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your new found freedom, MRBILL! I bet it's quite a relief having your house to your wife and yourself. Should be a time of re-discovery. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry to hear of the sad time you went through, though I'm very pleased that you are writing again. What a kind lady you are to be there for Pete like you were. I have always found you to be a very interesting and exciting woman from your blog; how heartwarming it is to see such a depth to your character as well. Welcome back! Jim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Jim. It's good to be back writing again. Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart goes out to you Lady Grey. You've been through a lot, it's good to hear that you're doing better.

    Thank you for sharing a bit of your life on this wonderful blog; Karl is a very luck man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. Yes, Karl is lucky, and so am I to have him.

      Delete
  12. So sorry to hear of your loss. It is indeed difficult to watch a loved one die! All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael. Now it's time to move on...but with fond remembrance always.

      Delete
  13. Lady Grey, I´m so sorry to hear about your loss. I know from personal experience how hard it can be. Take good care of yourself, luckily you seems to have a wonderful husband, able to help you cope with the situation. I certainly admire your dedication for your friend! OG

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, OG. I appreciate your comment. Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so sorry for the loss...

    ReplyDelete