Thursday, August 25, 2011

EMBRACING THE INNER SADIST

Recently, my husband Karl and I were out having a Thai dinner with one of his work associates and his wife (let's call them Bill and Barb ), neither of whom has the slightest idea of the D/s lifestyle we lead.  We had ordered four appetizers with the intent that each of us would have one piece of each item, thereby allowing  us to try a little bit of everything.  Worked out fine until Barb plucked a second spring roll from the plate of four before Bill had a chance to try one.  She gave him a wicked little smile as she did so, and said to the table in general   "Bill just loves spring rolls.  He was saving this one for last, but I know he's more than willing to sacrifice so I can have a second one of these delicious things.  Isn't that right, honey?" 

Bill just smiled in response, but I recognized that smile.  It had that "cracked" quality to it, and then he said "My sweet  Barb just loves to torture me whenever spring rolls are around.  She's such a little sadist."  We all had a good laugh, and I'm sure that Barb and Bill never noticed the little smirk that passed over Karl's face as the dinner went on.

Back at home, I asked Karl what that little smirk was for, and he laughed and said "If only they knew what a real sadist can do."

To which I innocently replied, "Whatever do you mean, Karl?  Do you know any real sadists?''  Yes, I was smiling when I asked that question, and Karl was smart enough to instantly drop to his knees before me and say  "Only the woman I so desperately love."

Clever boy.  All of which sent me to my pocket dictionary for a definition of "sadist".  My little Webster's said sadism is "An abnormal enjoyment of cruelty".   Then I went online and found the following definition:
"Sadism - Sexual pleasure obtained by inflicting harm (physical or psychological) on others".  This came from worldnetweb.princeton edu/perl/webron.

The second definition had added some key words - "sexual pleasure" - and broadened it to include both physical and psychological harm.  I wanted one more definition, and I found it on Webster's Online.  Here it is:
"Sadism - a sexual perversion in which gratification is obtained by the infliction of physical or mental pain on others (as on a love object)."  Well now, we've added "sexual perversion" to the mix and brought in  the element of doing it to a "love object".

Quite a mixture of definitions.  If we combine all three, we have a definition of sadism that  might read  "An  abnormal sexual perversion where gratification is obtained by inflicting  physical or psychological cruelty or pain on others, including the one you love."  I think that covers it all pretty well.

So how many dominant women would be willing to label themselves "sadists" when all of the above is considered?  And how many submissive men would like to be controlled by such a woman?  Personally, I've never denied my sadistic side, keeping in mind that there are many levels of sadism that can be considered, and that I'm not about to do anything that causes permanent physical harm.  I also seriously doubt that any ProDom would deny an element of sadism within herself.  Indeed, they'd most likely brag about it, and judging from ProDom websites, it's an integral part of what they have to offer their clients.  Which means, of course, that this is just what many men are seeking (and are willing to pay for), and why they are left frustrated at home with a woman who doesn't want to be regarded as a sadist, and won't administer any form of corporal punishment.

I've read many, many blogs written by submissive men who say that their so called Dominant wives draw the line at inflicting real physical cruelty.  If they don't raise that whip, or swing that cane, or put him over their knee, or administer cock and ball torture, or any stuff like that, then they can't be accused of being sadists, right?

Well, what about psychological cruelty?  Just what is that?  Requiring your husband to bow before you, to act as your housekeeper, to give you full control of the finances, to put you in charge of his orgasms, to sit at your feet while you read or watch television, to wear  women's clothing or diapers, to stand in the corner for hours as punishment for not doing his duties properly, etc., etc. Would those be a few examples?  How about having him wear a chastity device, or bringing him to the edge over and over and then ruining his orgasm.  Or you could have him wear frilly little bows in his hair in public to humiliate him, or control what he's allowed to look at on the internet. Or, this is a good one, take all the money he makes at work and force him to ask permission to spend any of it on himself.  If these are examples of psychological cruelty, then is the Dom who partakes in them not a sadist? 

I can hear the protests already.  "But he likes all of those things.  He wants to serve me and when he's humiliated, etc, he gets turned on.  How can I be a sadist when I'm just giving him what he wants?"  To which I would answer, what if he wants to be physically punished, or beaten or tortured?  How can you be a sadist if that's what he WANTS?  What's the difference between the two methods of dominating if both wind up making him a happy submissive?  Why do you think that the addition of corporal punishment makes you a sadist, yet the psychological pain doesn't?  Come now ladies, you can't have it both ways.  If you're giving him what he wants and that means to you that you're  NOT a sadist, then whether your treatment of him is physical or not, you're NOT a sadist, right?

Yet, according to the definitions of sadism above, either way, physical or psychological cruelty makes you a sadist. The point I'm trying to make is that any woman who takes on a role of dominance with her male is to at least some extent a sadist, by definition, whether she's physically punishing him or not.  ANY form of punishment or cruelty at all makes you a sadist.  Whether it's a paddling or taking away his internet privileges, you are punishing him. I've read blog entries from Femdoms who seem aghast at the idea that they might be considered sadistic.  Yes, I humiliate him in public when he has to follow behind me and wait with the shopping bags outside the dressing room door, yes I put him in a cage when he misbehaves, yes I force him to clean the floor over and over until I'm satisfied, but oh no, I'm not a sadist.  Well, of course I enjoy it, I even derive sexual gratification from putting him in these positions, but that doesn't make me a sadist.  I'm not abnormal; I'm not perverted.  Not like I'd be if I beat him.

Such foolishness.  There's nothing wrong with embracing your innner sadist, ladies.  It's there in all of us who choose dominance as a way of life.  What about the other parts of those definitions?  Is being a Dom "abnormal"?  Well, it certainly isn't the norm, so yes, it's abnormal.  It's a "perversion" as well, in the same sense that it's abnormal.  A Dom is certainly perverting the usual view of a relationship simply by dominating a submissive male.  Do all these words frighten you?  Are you afraid to admit that you're sexually aroused by your dominance? 

You'll never know what it feels like to give him a spanking, or a paddling, or a caning, or (gasp) a whipping until you try.  And I'd be willing to bet that your submissive will most likely love it, really love it, that there's a physical price to pay for disobeying or disappointing his Dom, despite any earlier protestations to the contrary.   You might even find that YOU like it, that you get a little bit wetter by exhibiting such power, by taking your control to a heretofore unexplored level.  Remember that last definition of sadist?  The one that talked about administering physical or mental pain to your "love object"?  Give it a try.  Be a little "abnormal" and "perverted".  The world thinks you're abnormal and perverted anyway just by being a DOMINANT.  What have you got to lose?

27 comments:

  1. Lady G- Thank you for this post. I take it you figure there is nothing in their relationship like you two have...
    Loved your paragraph describing psychological humiliations. Yes, we can all hope women explore this further... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your way of thinking

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's precisely because of the label "sadist" that you see this sort of reaction. If enjoying slapping one's partner around in a loving way were called "puppies", I doubt there'd be half the hangups that there are about it. (The converse is true: I've encountered many men who are afraid of embracing their desires for fear that that means that they're "submissive", which they interpret as weakness.)

    It's amazing how pervasive and deep-rooted various societal conditioning is. There are things about my religious upbringing that can still cause a pang of ill feelings when I embrace my sexuality (let alone my submissive sexuality), even though I discarded that belief system and its repressive attitudes many, many years ago. For women, they may not only have religious upbringing to contend with, they have to deal with the societal message that nice girls don't do stuff like spank their partners.

    I think of the various expressions heterosexual experience takes on, the femdom/malesub dynamic is the one that presents the biggest challenges. For both parties, you're having to overcome very strong cultural messages about the supposedly proper roles of the sexes. It's difficult for both men and women to embrace that, but in different ways.

    The sad thing is, none of us should care about any of those messages when we get behind closed doors. The doors are closed for a reason, after all. But I know firsthand how challenging it can be to push past those messages.

    So, I empathize with the women you're referencing here. But I also feel a little bad for them, that they're letting external messaging hold them back from something that both they and their partners may enjoy, and something that can bring partners that much closer together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Love sadistic women!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, as ever Lady Grey. I had a tough time embracing or even acknowledging my sadistic urges for a long time. Probably due to societal conditioning as well as some religious conditioning. I had a hard time coming to terms with the fact I liked to hurt men, and wondered what that said about me. Did it mean I was sick and needed some sort of therapy? Eventually I had a light bulb moment when I realised that I only like to do these things with men who enjoy it on some level (even if they appear to not enjoy it at the time). I realised that if the other person was really not enjoying it, it would be very flat for me. I need that charged feedback that he is getting something out of it for me to get the buzz....otherwise we would be as well just having a coffee and a good old chat! Once I sorted that out in my head, well it was a green light to really enjoy what I love doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. weave - I'm sure that the other couple is not leading a D/s lifestyle...and yet, there was that cracked smile:)

    anon and collette - glad you enjoyed and agree. Thanks for commenting.

    murmel - as usual, I'd have to agree with everything you said. It's hard to break away from early conditioning and religion throws many barriers in the way of expressing one's true inner feelings. Not much to be done about it unless the inner needs are strong enough to let one bypass those roadblocks. It's worth the effort. Good to hear from you.

    Lady Annisa - I totally agree that having the consent of the sub is critical for a Dom's satisfaction. As a Prodom, you really have that assurance because the sub has sought you out, is paying for the privilege, and doesn't have a gun to his head. A green light if ever there was one!

    If one were forcing dominance on a sub, that would be a very different form of sadism. A much darker form, and probably illegal. And, as you say, quite "flat", no fun at all.

    As for that early training that makes us question our inner sadism/masochism, see Murmel's comment for the same point coming from the opposite gender. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Lady G

    I just discovered your blog and have thoroughly enjoyed you and your sub's adventures. I had a few questions and was
    not sure where to put them so I'm posting on the most recent entry.

    1)You mentioned Karl had a set of hard limits. Can you provide us his list? Did you have to persuade him to modify
    some or did the list change over time?

    2) Do you do any cooking,cleaning chores, etc or is your sole contribution ruler and contriver of subbie torments(
    no small task)?

    3) Do you indulge your sub in other fantasy elements than D/s (think sex in elevator,other role play etc). In that line
    of thinking if he ever wanted to Dom you would you ever indulge this(I suspect no but am curious as to your reaction
    if he had such a fantasy)?

    4) Can you provide an estimate on how often you let you sub have sex (and release) good behavior dependent of course?

    I apologize for the great number of questions and for the poor location on this blog. Thanks for the great writing
    and any response you may provide in advance

    TTFN

    ReplyDelete
  8. A well expressed and thought provoking post.
    I hope that it does encourage some of your readers to push their boundaries and enjoy being "abnormal" and "perverted".
    There is certainly an element of sadism in what Pro-dommes do, in fact one commented recently how much she enjoyed hearing me beg her to stop a flogging. I don't have a problem with that,I want the Ladies I visit to be sadistic (albeit within limits)
    John
    PS I have just discovered your website (via Lady Annisa's). I have started with your account of meeting Karl and will be working my way forward.

    ReplyDelete
  9. KG, I left a comment on Friday. Did you get it? QG

    ReplyDelete
  10. QG - Ladies (Goddesses) first. No, I didn't receive a comment from you for this posting except for this question about receiving a comment. Don't know what could have happened to it, but I'd love to hear what you have to say. Sorry QG.

    anon TIFN - So many questions! I'll answer by the numbers:
    1. The main ones are no forced homosexual activities, no cuckolding, no branding or tattooing, and no photos of our activities on the internet. I totally agree with all of them, and have from the beginning, so there's no problem. There have been no additions or deletions from the original "list", which is actually verbal in nature.
    2. Karl cooks breakfast, I take care of my own lunch, and we usually go out or carry in for dinner, though Karl occasionally is ordered to prepare dinner himself. Cleaning is done by a combination of Karl and a service that I bring in weekly. Basically, Karl is responsible for the laundry, kitchen cleanliness, picking up after me, cleaning and sorting my shoes, making the bed, and the entire basement. Occasionally, Karl has punishment cleaning chores, but that's another story. My role is one of supervision and inspection.
    3. No, to all parts of this question.
    4. No, it varies based entirely on my mood. Since my mood generally favors tease and denial, there's not a whole lot of release of any sort for Karl. His best chance is when I want to feel his cock inside me, though that's no guarantee of release for him:)

    Glad you stopped by and are enjoying my blog.

    johnfred - Thank you. I would be very pleased to hear that my words had the effect of getting more budding Doms to try some corporal punishment. If they could simply understand feelings that you and so many other male subs portray in re sadistic women, perhaps it would happen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you be a domme without being a sadist? Can you be a sadist without being at least a little dominant? I think these two things go hand and hand. LG, I take you back to your posting of your slave weekend when your inner sadist went into overdrive. At some point did it stop being about Karls request to be a slave and your inner sadist took control? From what I read that weekend changed who you were as a domme.

    I assume much like subspace I have hit the sadist space where I want to see how far I can push. It stops being about the sub and and you are driven by this sadist side. When I hit this space it is an unfillable desire. Just asked hubbette. LOL

    It's a different kind of rush. I think there is a major difference between giving your sub what he desires and hitting that sadist side when the whole things becomes about that intoxicating rush that only a sadist can feel.

    The rush when a sub begs for mercy and you show none. When he will do anything for you to stop. My lost comment to you was much better but I hope you get my drift.

    As an after thought, can you really be a domme if you don't have that sadist side? Are you simply playing a role? Is punishment a pleasure or a chore?

    Question to LG, you have both subs and now Karl.How has your sadist side changed when dealing with these two different types of relationships or has it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never thought of my Mistress as a sadist: She's in my head and has a hold on me that I accept. Her exercising that hold brings us both satisfaction and pleasure.

    As with Barb, she has a way of exposing me publicly. Before we go to a party or gathering, she reminds me to miss no opportunity to be attentive to the female guests, regardless of age or appearance. The goal is for one of them to compliment her on me so that Mistress can say that "He's very well trained" -- ideally while I am within earshot. Usually, she gets an uncertain look from the woman and a red face from me!

    EB

    ReplyDelete
  13. QG - I agree that the two go hand in hand. It's always a matter of degree when talking about sadism, but I simply can't imagine that a Dom doesn't have at least some degree of sadism in order to be a Dom.

    Yes, the slave weekend changed me by opening Pandora's box and letting a more extreme form of sadism out. It also changed my husband, letting him know what I was capable of and letting him know what he was capable of taking. As it turned out, neither of us has ever regretted it.

    Yes, it's different with my husband than it was with subs. Much more intense. This may sound strange, but I believe it's true because of the element of love. I just didn't care as much about my subs as I do about my husband because I didn't love them, I merely used them. It wasn't as important to give them what they needed. With Karl, it is, and my more extreme sadism - it turns out - was just what both of us needed. He loves me all the more for being able to give him the level of sadism he wants, and I love him all the more for being able to take it and for being open to whatever I may give him in the future. He trusts me to do the right thing, and I do not betray that trust. It's a lovely symbiosis, and neither of us is afraid of the word "sadist".

    Now as to that "rush" you describe, and which I know well.....maybe he'd be wise to be a little afraid:)

    EB - I'm a bit confused by what you're saying. It sounds as though there is no physical element to your submission, merely mental. Aren't you ignoring the concept of psychological sadism? Your Mistress has ordered you to act in a way toward other females that will give her the opportunity to tell them that she's trained you to act this way. She obviously enjoys the fact that this humiliates you and causes your face to turn red. That's her goal, right? Do you not consider that a form of sadism? I do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi LG...finally commenting!! I skimmed through the other comments so as to not repeat others, but I probably still will!!

    It is most definitely a process...for me anyways. You and QG knew this part of yourselves for a very very long time. I, however, did not. Yes, I have a STRONG personality/presence, but before my husband introduced this into our marriage, I was clueless. For a while, I only did the psyochological torture (edging, standing in the corner, kneeling etc). I think it was when I had him kneeling on kitty litter that I started to "get" the physical part. I loved it! I guess it goes back to the rush QG mentioned. I believe I bought my first crop shortly after that and then a paddle. At first I would only swipe his ass a few times...but then...

    Not only did I enjoy inflicting the physical punishment (ie: get wetter!!), I also realized that whatever behavior triggered this punishment was quickly gone. So being sadistic was a win/win for me!! ( I know this is true for all Dommes!!) But as a former "vanilla girl", the thought of being a sadist, of inflicting pain on one's husband...it just wasn't even considered. Then overnight, this whole new relationship is introduced to you!! I guess with most things, it all depends on how you look at it...and who you are talking to!!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lady Grey,

    Thanks for your comment. We're getting into semantics here -- to me, there's a difference between humiliation and a minor embarrassment. If she berated me loudly in front of other guests for not giving up my seat, I would be humiliated. A veiled allusion to our lifestyle is a different thing, is all.

    If by "physical element" you mean pain, that is not part of our marriage. It may be that her requirements of me are unusual for an FLM. As long as I serve, obey, and meet the letter of our contract, she doesn't punish me. She does have occasion for corner time, punishment lines, and/or scolding, and that's always enough.

    Her goal is for me to draw a compliment because this shows that I have met the condition of our contract that requires me to treat all women with courtesy and respect at all times, regardless of appearance. The remark is a little treat for me.

    Thanks again for you comment -- it helps me to think these things through.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mistress FH - You're right. QG and I knew about our sadistic sides from a very early age. Your journey started later and took longer and reflects the majority of situations in re females and sadism. My suggestion to "try it, you might like it" isn't always so easy for a budding Dom, even those with an open mind. The fact that you did respond to the physical punishment of your husband shows that it can be done, and it can enhance and broaden the entire D/s experience.

    As you point out, there's a huge difference between a few swipes with a paddle or crop and a real session of "laying it on". Once you felt the rush and once you saw how it got your husband to behave, there was no turning back. Now the options are endless, and I bet you wouldn't dream of going back. Thanks so much for providing a vanilla-to-Femdom point of view.

    anon - Yes , I suppose we are arguing semantics, but you say that you have a contract and that she doesn't punish you if you adhere to the rules, then you add that she does punish you for infractions by employing corner time, lines, scolding, etc. Clearly, this shows that she does regard these punishments as a form of effective cruelty. Making you stand in a corner, or tediously write lines would not be described as "kindness". It's not corporal punishment, but it's still punishment. It's not the normal way a couple deals with disagreements, so it's abnormal. Some would consider it perverted.

    So you still don't think this reflects a sadistic element in your Mistress (your word - not "girlfriend")? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lady Gray,

    How often now you put Karl in a cage? And for how long usually? For what reason? Is he like it or not? Are you like to put him in?

    Thanks,

    Serge

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lady Grey--

    It's definitely the case that she knows me and therefore knows that inflicting boredom is the most effective punishment. Chastisement happens in the interests of correcting unwanted (by both of us) behavior. It hasn't occurred to either of us that this is a form of cruelty, although I take your point. On the masochism-sadism scale, this clearly tends to sadism.

    Her most effective technique, incidentally, doesn't involve punishment at all.

    EB

    ReplyDelete
  19. Serge - Karl goes into the cage as a punishment when his behavior warrants it or if I want him to concentrate on something without outside distractions. Occasionally, it acts as something of a "sub sitter" when I need to be away. The reasons vary. There is no specific pattern, time limit, etc. He hates it. I enjoy the effect it has.

    EB - Good enough. We'll leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. For me a good session involves a mix of pleasure and pain,the "buzz" comes from the contrast and the fact that Mistress is in control. Some punishments (eg pegs on my scrotum) I dislike and I am glad when they are over. Others (eg being beaten with a leather flogger) turn me on and I don't want them to stop.
    Does Karl have similar feelings? Which punishments do you particularly enjoy inflicting on him? Does his likes / dislikes affect your choice?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post. I can remember my early days dominating my bitch-boy. I could not bring myself to accept I was perverted or a sadist. The words caused me problems. I have no such problems now and am quite proud that I can say I am a perverted sadist. So I can understand women rationalising what they do to their subbys to avoid the labels, but I would highly reccommend they free themselves from the shackles of boring, pointless social/moral standards, accept what they are and enjoy their lives fully and honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. johnfred- "Good session" sounds like you'e talking about a Prodom something or other. Karl doesn't have "sessions", he has a lifestyle. When I'm punishing him, his likes and dislikes have nothing to do with what I do. He takes what I give him, period.

    msscarletuk- Thank you, and I totally agree with your recommendation. This delusional rationalization is quite annoying and just gets in the way of progress in a FLR. Such a waste.

    By the way, I love your doily idea! So simple, yet as my husband would now agree, so effective. Thank you for that posting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahh Lady Grey! Catching up on blogs is sometimes a task when you have a lil pussy clambering around at your heels. With that said, you know how I feel about Sadism, the word itself is Divine. Wonderful post and so eloquently said.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much, Mistress Misty. Always a pleasure to hear from you, and I believe we're in the same "ballpark" when it comes to our view of sadism. It is a pretty word, and it's a shame it derives from a male!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just had a huge post discussion over at fetlife about this topic. Very interesting. I asked if all femdoms are sadistic and it caused quite the discussion. It is under the group 'FemDom Domain' and the discussion post was 'what makes femdoms sadists?'.

    The question was really to see if being female, and dominant made you also a sadist. The majority of the dominant women who responded were sadists, but not all. Everyone had great insight and I learned a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay Miss Gray, what if he were to REFUSE to have his cock put in a cage? What about that? :) J

    ReplyDelete
  27. J - If he refuses, then just forget about it. Unless the man is in chains, and he's a complete and willing slave, there's no sense in forcing the issue. Mutual consent is vital.

    ReplyDelete