Saturday, October 22, 2016

DEALING WITH PETE

After mulling over all of the ideas presented by my readers, I finally reached a conclusion about how to deal with the Pete situation.  All of you who commented will undoubtedly see elements of your suggestions reflected in what I decided to do, and just let me thank you once again for the time and thoughtfulness of your comments.  I won't refer directly to any comments - that would take forever - but you know who you are and what you said, as do I,  and be assured that your comments are individually recognized and appreciated.


The first question I had to answer was whether I wanted to admit to Pete that I was indeed a dominant woman.  It seemed to me that if I did that, I was opening too many doors that I didn't want to open.  Foremost among my concerns was the fear that at some point he would share this with others at the facility, and the ensuing gossip would make my continued dealings with the residents awkward at best, and possibly impossible to continue.  So, no, I decided I would not admit to my dominant ways, at least in any sexual sense.  This decision made things much less complicated, as I no longer had to consider any "relationship" issues that might ensue if Pete saw me as a Dom and was able to re-live his experiences as a sub through me.  I like Pete, but as painful as it was to deny him this bit of joy, I was committed to protecting my privacy and my relationship with others at the home.  Furthermore, not admitting that I was a Dom precluded any possibility (I hoped) of arousal on his part.


The second question to myself was how did Pete reach the conclusion that I was a Dom?  I had already asked him that, but his answer that "it takes a sub to know a Dom when he sees one" just wasn't enough to satisfy me.  There had to be something more specific involved, and I wanted to know what it was.


Finally, there were the tricky matters of timing and attitude.  I didn't want to wait an inordinate amount of time before visiting with Pete again, as that would imply that I was upset - or at least overly concerned - with how our regular conversation had ended when the Dom matter came up.  As for attitude, I didn't want him to have any idea about how much I had thought about all of this, so I needed to convey an aura of disinterest in the matter until he brought it up himself, as I was certain would happen before too long.  After all, with what I already knew about him, it was clear that his subdom was a major part of his life at one time, and it still held a great deal of sway in his thoughts.  I knew he wouldn't be able to resist bringing the matter up again.


So, without further ado, I'll tell you what happened.  I arrived at the home, made my usual rounds among the people I had previously involved myself with, and eventually wound up at Pete's room with my usual greeting and hug, and chatted with him about the weather, his health, etc.  The usual patter, in other words.  As I suspected, it didn't take long before Pete brought up the subject of D/s. It was clear that he had given the matter plenty of thought.  He said that he hoped I wasn't upset that he had talked about his sub experiences with his late wife, but "since I sensed that you were a dominant woman, I figured you wouldn't find it offensive".


That was the lead-in I was waiting for, so I responded that I wasn't offended by anyone's lifestyle, and though I considered myself a strong woman in many ways, I was not what he evidently thought I was.  I asked "So where did you get the idea that I was some sort of dominatrix, or whatever"?


"Well," he said  "that time when we were talking about the year that I forgot my wife's  birthday, and you said that you'd have to give your husband a spanking if he did that, and one other time when you mentioned that he was in serious trouble because he'd forgotten to pick up breakfast items that you'd asked him to get on his way home from work."



Ouch!  My big mouth!  Now it was time to get a bit artful in my explanation.  "Pete," I said, "you're reading much too much into those things.  Women are always kidding about giving their husbands a spanking!  It doesn't mean they actually do it, and we're always saying that they're "in trouble" for forgetting things.  You're just putting things like that in the wrong light, and that's probably because of your own background with your wife.  I never put my husband over my knee and smack him with my hand (that's true, I use a paddle and I never use my knee to support him).  Did your wife do that?  Did getting "in trouble" mean some sort of physical punishment?  You told me that you liked to serve your wife and act as a slave, but was punishment involved?"


Pete blushed a bit, but he ignored the "punishment" question  and went on to say that he hadn't meant to characterize me as something I wasn't, and maybe it was just wishful thinking on his part because I hadn't recoiled in horror when he revealed a bit about his past relationship with his wife, and "I hope I haven't offended you, but you really do give off an aura of dominance". 


"Pete, I think you're just seeing what you want to see, and that's understandable because you miss your wife and your old lifestyle.  How you lived before your wife passed away is your own business, and when you told me a little about it I found it interesting, and I wasn't offended, but it did make me a bit uncomfortable.  How about if we just avoid all of that in the future.  I can't replace your wife and I really don't want to hear about such personal matters.  Is that all right with you"?


"Of course," said Pete.  "I do value our friendship, and the last thing I want is to make you uncomfortable.  Want to get your butt kicked at Backgammon?"  And so we played the game, and I felt a bit guilty about all of my "explanations", but I'd done what I'd set out to do.  We were still friends, I'd found out what had tipped him off, we'd gotten away from the subject of D/s, and I no longer felt that my privacy was in danger.  Whether Pete fully bought my dancing around the subject or not, at least he was gentleman enough to recognize that I had no desire to continue in that direction and accepted that the subject of D/s was better kept off limits.


We'll see what happens in the future, but for now things are back to normal with Pete.  Hopefully, and with a great deal of help from my readers, the situation has been resolved, and I'll be a lot more careful in what my mouth says before my brain considers the implications.  As always, I'd welcome your views on the matter.









19 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Lady Grey.

    Although a part of me wishes you would have engaged Pete abouthis D/s past (mostly my empathizing with being in that position) I completely understand your motivations and think you were able to dodge that rather well.

    It did make me grin a little to hear that he played the "aura" card. I figured he would go there as that is what I pictured myself saying if I was trying to hide attraction if it was an inappropriate situation.

    I will be curious if this is enough to put a lid on things or if he will hint at it again somewhere down the road. If he has any doubts about your explanation it may come up again in 2-4 months.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be right, fur, about this coming up again in the future. If his past life as a sub is dominating his thoughts, it will be difficult for him to resist, I suppose. I guess I'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did the right thing, but i get the idea that Pete is sharp as a pistol and you didn't fool him with your denials - he probably read it exactly as it is, that you ARE Dominant, but that you wish to keep that part of your life private, especially in the situation where he lives. The good news is that it's been aired out, you're comfortable with your statements, and he accepts them, even if he suspects them to merely be a dodge. No one gets hurt, unless they want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, and I think you're probably right on every count. Pete is sharp, and he's also a gentleman in the old-school sense of the word. He's clever and caring enough to know not to rock the boat on this subject. Now let's see how long it lasts.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that you got that settled as that could have become something that you didn't want out. I think you are pretty special to do what you do at the home. My dad was in one here before he passed and I know he really appreciated the volunteers and the people that spent their time helping others. I spent a lot of time with him and I couldn't be there all the time. You are one special woman to give of yourself like that. Tread Onward. Fire Fighter Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Steve. I've always felt that the elderly are too often ignored by the various support groups in existence. They have so much to offer by way of their life experiences, and so many have active and fully operational brains that it's a sin to just treat them like leftovers. I do what I can, and believe me when I say that I get back as much as I give, and more. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    3. You are amazing--in the BEST way possible. What a beautiful loving solution that you came up with. Trying to give him HIS needs and trying to protect YOU. I BET he likes you and needs you too. You are wonderfully complex. I love your blog and the community that it creates. And YES, the elderly have lots of needs too. God bless you:)))

      Delete
    4. You're just too generous in your praise, Explorer. Still making me blush:)

      Delete
    5. Praise well deserved :))))))))))) Blushing optional and beautiful.

      Delete
  5. It seems that you handled the situation well. It wouldn't surprise me though, if Pete still believes his instincts. As you said however, he's a gentleman and values your friendship. More likely than not, he won't bring the subject up again.


    G.M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi G.M. I just found this comment in my spam folder - don't ask me why it was there! Sorry about the delay in posting it, and though Pete is indeed a gentleman, we'll see if he can resist broaching the subject again.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing what happened with Pete. I was hoping you would play dumb and listen to his stories but I do also know that opens a messy can of gooey fish bait. Kudos to you for handling it well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that it would have been fun to hear about his past sub life, but that "gooey fish bait" was too much of a risk to take. Thanks for the kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lady Grey,

    Your response was what I would have expected of you. Respectful and accepting in all ways. I certainly understand and respect your decision to keep this aspect of your life private but isn't it a shame that our society doesn't always allow for the free expression of who we are?

    I also agree that Pete is too sharp and your slips too apparent for a man who has lived this lifestyle. Clearly his antenna are up and will be even more so now. But as has been said, he is too much of a gentleman and too respectful to not follow your your lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, humble. Maybe one day D/s will be acceptable from society's viewpoint. After all, the gay community has made enormous strides in that area in recent years, so perhaps we're next. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend holding one's breath until that day arrives:(

      Delete
  9. In the meantime, you have a supportive community here:))))))

    ReplyDelete
  10. How can discuss about my FLR to you? Do u have an email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I don't do emails. If you have a question, you can ask it here, but this isn't really the best place to go for advice in any but a general sense and preferably as it is related to my postings.

      Delete